Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Make Your Own Water Feature in 45 Minutes!

I have been on a quest to enhance my front porch. I have wanted a water feature for a very long time, but did not want to spend a lot of money, or have one that everyone else had. I wanted something unique and true to me. The best solution to this was to make my own. Yesterday I had the day off and I decided to go ahead and make my very own unique water feature. It was so much fun.  I took photos along the way so I could share it with all of you.


I created a small water feature because that is all I have room for. I want to be able to go out on my front porch in the evening and relax over looking my lovely planter and hear the water.



I went to the local feed store and bought a 30 gallon galvanized (won't rust) water trough for animals.
Then onto Lowe's for a 70 gallon fountain pump with extender, water lily plantand organic pond solution.



Found the place to put it in my garden and dug out and around to make it level.


Placed the pump inside with the extender on it along with the spray head.


Dropped the water lily plant wrapped in mesh bag next to the pump.


Took some stones from the garden we have collected over the yearsfrom beach camping trips and placed them in the bottom. This is just for looks and 
something extra for the fish.


Filled it up and dropped the fake lily that came with plant in.


Couldn't wait to plug it in and see what happened!!


Added the little fish (see the little bit of orange on bottom) and Viola I have my water feature!!!

According the Walmart assistant the fish will grow. I bought them for 10 cents a piece. Got 10 of them so hopefully I will still have 3 left by the end of the summer.

The water lily will grow pretty fast and it's leaves will give the fish something to swim 
under for shade.

I can't tell you how fun this was. It took all of maybe 45 minutes to put together. The leveling
was the most difficult. It's not until this picture that I actually got it level.

I love it. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Total Cost:

Water Trough:  $41
Pump with extender: $19.97
Water Lily: $7.98
Pond Cleaner: $8.50
Fish: $1.00
Fish Food: $4.98

Total:  $ 83.43


Photobucket






Somewhat Simple


Rhinestone Beagle




NightOwlCrafting



Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Love this...may have to copy and make me one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! And such an awesome tutorial!! :)


    www.iheartmygluegun.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, and I bet it is peaceful hearing the water while you sit outside. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! The sound must be lovely too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats so clever, looks really cute! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so sweet! Someday I may do this in our back yard.... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it~ such a great idea and it turned out charming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sound of the water will be so soothing. Have you named the fish? I love water lilies. There are a whole bunch of them growing in the marshy inlet on the lake where my parents live. It was always so cool to paddle the boat right through this "sea" of lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a creative project!! Thanks for stopping by to add this to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to make a water feature but was afraid it would be too much to take care of. This looks simple an stress free. Thanks for the post. Thanks for following me...I'm your newest follower also. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you put the total cost for the project. Makes me think I can actually make one myself. Now I just have to find a feed store in suburbia. FYI This project is one of our features for this thursday's party. Come by and grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is really cool, Susie. You make it look so easy to make! Not a bad price for the project, and I really like the sound of water...it is so soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you have success growing lily from the mesh? I bought the same one at Lowe's and it still "thinking".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahaa, it’s nice conversation on the subject of this post at this place, I actually have read all that, therefore at this time me additionally commenting at this place.
    www.hilltopgardencentre.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Will this last all winter in New Jersey?

    ReplyDelete
  17. So did the fish do okay in the galvanized container?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fish will be fine, we have several though much larger galvanized horse troughs on the ranch and they all have gold fish in them, a couple of them are big and hold around 700 gal. of water the gold fish we put in the three years ago have gotten to be about 10-inches long and their tail fins stream out behind them as long as their bodies. They keep the algae and mosquitoes out of the horse troughs is the reason we use them

      Delete