Monday, March 7, 2011

Sunday Dinner with the Best Coconut Cake in the Whole World!!!

In our home Sunday dinner is a tradition. When I was growing up I always looked forward to dinner when we arrived home from church. My mother was a great cook 7 days a week, but Sunday's were special. We always ate in the dining room with the good dishes. I remember roasts, hams, pork chops, her friend chicken and some yummy dessert to go with. I've been married now 36 years and have raised six children. Over the years I have kept Sunday dinner as a tradition in our home as well. It's the one day of the week that I try and pull out all the stops. My children are grown now and spread out over the United States but I still have two daughters that still live with us and and one daughter and her family that live nearby. We all meet up for Sunday dinner at either my house or my daughter's. I really look forward to this weekly tradition with good food and good table conversation. The little ones usually watch a special movie that grandma has that they don't :-) and the adults relax and visit. Last night was my turn and I really did do something special! On one of my very favorite blogs The Old Centennial Farmhouse I found a Coconut Cake recipe! It looked so gorgeous and reminded me of my Grandmother's coconut cake that I just had to try it. She claims it's the best coconut cake in the whole wide world and I have to say I 100% agree!!! I made it for Sunday dinner last night and WOW what a show stopper. My family ate the whole cake!







Go visit her blog, I have included the link and check it out for the recipe! It's pretty easy, the only thing I did differently was use 9" pans and added about 1 cup more flower to the icing as I mixed it. Other than those minor changes this is the best coconut cake in the whole wide world!!!!



I am also including quick tutorial on a yummy baked chicken recipe. I used package of eight boneless, skinless chicken 1/2 breasts, 1 lg package of French Fried Onion Rings and 1 cup of butter. Smash up the onion rings in plastic zip lock bag with either palm of your hand or rolling pin. Dip breast both sides in melted butter and then in the onion rings. Bake 350 for 1 hr. I made eight and ended up serving only five cut in 1/2 and that fed seven adults and three children. Chicken cooked this way is very yummy. Just served with boiled red potatoes, sliced tomatoes, and green beans. Kept the entree simple because the feature item was the Cake!!!



.





Happy Monday 
Susie

Shared with ...




4 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks fantastic, my husband LOVES coconut, so I will have to try it out!

    Carlee,
    ladybirdln.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be in bed instead of looking at all this yummy food. It's making me want to eat at night. A major no-no. :)
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! Coconut Cake is my hubby favorite and Wednesday will be our 25th Wedding Aniver. so I am going to make this just for him. Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete