Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Vintage Old British Castle Transfer Ware Collection..

It all started with this cup! I have four daughters ranging from 37 - 20 years of age. They all know I'm a vintage plate/dish addict.
 I have a whole buffet hutch dedicated to my Vintage Franciscan Apple Ware and my vintage Johnson Brother's transfer ware is displayed in my china cabinet.
Over the years I have mainly collected the vintage Friendly Village pattern of transfer ware.
I have recently branched out to Johnson Brothers Vintage Old British Castle in red.
All because of this cup below.


This cup is one, of a set of four given to me two Christmas's ago
by my youngest daughter. These cups are the only part of
my collection which is not vintage. She actually bought them at Marshall's.
The significance is not that they are transferware, but the castle that
is featured on them. It is the Ragland Castle in Wales. I have been there, it is actually my family's ancestral castle which still stands today much as it did in the 15th century.
I was able to visit this castle in 2009 with my eldest daughter. It was
such an emotional experience. When we told the guide who we were they brought out the Ragland family book and had us sign our names. Apparently the only descendant's
of the original Raglands of Ragland Castle are now in America.
I was thrilled with this thoughtful gift and promised that I would build on the collection.


Ragland Castle Mommouth Wales 2009



The first item I added is this lovely vintage JB's Old British Castle tea pot.
Circa 1930-1940


What's a teapot without the cream and Sugar bowls to go with.
Found these lovely pieces on Ebay both vintage.
You can see how well the castle is displayed on the front of the sugar bowl.



Tea can't be served without the appropriate plates to serve
the tea cakes on. As you can see that several different Old British Castles are featured as scenes on the transferware. 


The back stamp is always important in collecting authentic vintage pieces. All my pieces in this collection (other than the teacups) feature the Johnson Brother's Crown Stamp which
they used in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

  
I adore large serving pieces of  transferware. To me they
are artwork and should be displayed as such.
This is the last piece I have so far collected a beautiful
15" serving platter that I found for an extraordinary price on Ebay.


Here it is altogether


I love how it looks in my china cabinet on display!
I'm not finished yet with this collection. Only time will tell what I treasures I will be able to add.

Sharing With:

Ivy and ElephantsI would love to have you join me for Share Your Cup!CLICK TO JOIN LINKY PARTY
Feathered Nest Friday!

21 comments:

  1. I just love red transfer ware. I only have one piece but my mother-in-law has many pieces and uses them. I have asked for them if anything happens to her.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is a wonderful story. How sweet that your daughter gave you the cups that feature your ancestral castle. Good luck finding more vintage pieces of this beautiful transfer ware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful you were able to visit the family ancestral castle! I love this pattern too and have started collecting too. Mine are the new pieces, not vintage. Though my travels I’ve come to love anything with castles. Thanks for sharing your story and collection.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat! I have lots of the new pieces but none that are vintage. It's amazing that you know your ancestry back to that castle. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing that you have a family ancestral castle! What a beautiful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic story and so amazing you could visit your ancestoral castle. What a beautiful gift that is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your transferware and the great story about your castle! Collecting vintage makes your dishes very special. What life did they have before you?!

    Peace,
    Linda at The French Hens Nest

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great transferware collection you have started! How exciting to visit your family's ancestral castle. Thanks for sharing, Susie.
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fellow collector is stopping by to say hi! I enjoyed your post. Check out this link if you would like to.
    http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2013/04/spring-hutch-arrangement.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how beautiful.... I just love your collection!
    And enjoyed reading your story.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this collection! Red is my favorite with this too! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to stop by my blog and hopefully you will want to follow me back! Happy weekend, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susie, What a wonderful post on Johnson Brothers "Old Britain Castles" and I love how you are collecting the different pieces. I have had these sets in blue and pink since early in my marriage! We bought both colors at the same time by the sets at Titches, a large deparment store chain, and then extra pieces as desired. My love for Johnson Bros. was because my mother had pink and blue sets in "Old Britian Castles" and Mason's blue "Vista". My favorite shapes are the square cereal bowls and square salad plates. The "Old Britain Castles" has been some of my favorite patterns and I use them only on occassion and always wash them by hand. I have, in the last two weeks, bought the new pieces made in Asia and normally distributed by Waterford/Wedgwood. Christmas Tree Store is closing in Dallas and everything was 20 off storewide. I bought set of 8 in pink and blue "Old Britain Castle" for 3.99 plus the discount. This way I can use it in the dishwasher and for everyday though this summer. I have also collected the Mason's pink "Vista" for my mother has the blue "Vista". I love these for I grew up using these patterns everyday. Glad you have started a great collection and hope have a wonderful time using it with your daughters.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dishes are so interesting! I think it's so neat that you can trace your family all the way to that castle! And I love all transferware. I agree that it is art. Good luck finding more pieces for your collection! Enjoy! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you popped over and enjoyed my tour of the beautiful home at the lilac gardens! I collect Old British Castles transfer ware as well and Apple Franciscanware!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susie, I love transferware and your collection is wonderful! So fun how it started with the cups. Seeing how it will grow will be a exciting journey. I have a red glass collection and finding additional pieces to add to it has been so much fun! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great collection, Susie! I have a small collection of this pattern and love it.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. A really gorgeous collection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. just beautiful, LOVE red transferware!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an AMAZING post- how divine that you were added to their descendants book and that you truly are from there. That is extraordinary!

    I love your china collection, and because the meaning is so significant really makes it extra special.

    ReplyDelete